Weather-related cravings don’t care about a life-changing meal plan you’re trying to follow. When it’s cold, the body wants soup. I was excited when I stumbled upon the Stuffed Pepper Soup recipe on Skinny Taste, but it used chicken broth. That isn’t an approved food for 80 Day Obsession.
Instead of weeping over the atrocity, I got creative. Vegetable broth is approved, but you can only use 2 cups for 1 green container. You can’t make a filling soup with 2 cups of broth, and those green containers are valuable.
What I found after minutes of Googling is that you can make soup with water. It’s not highly recommended, but it’s possible. To account for the lack of taste from the broth, you have to make sure you add enough spices and aromatic vegetables like onion and celery.
Portion container information for the water-based recipe is 1 green, 1 red, 1 yellow, and 1 purple. If you use vegetable broth, add a 2nd green.
- 3 cups brown rice, cooked
- 1 lb lean ground beef or turkey
- 1 1/2 cups sweet bell peppers, chopped
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cans (14.5 oz each) diced tomatoes, no salt added
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp sage
- 3 tsp celery flakes
- 4 tsp cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- Place meat in a large pan or dutch oven and season with 1 tsp sage and 1 tsp cumin.
- Brown over medium heat.
- Drain fat and add peppers, onion, and garlic.
- Cook on medium-low for about five minutes.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, and remaining spices.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Periodically taste the soup to see if you need to add more spices.